Smothered Caribbean Chicken and Rice
If you add a colorful toss of diced tomato, cantaloupe and cucumber to this, you’ll cover all your nutritional bases in one dish. Get a jump start on the prep work by slicing the onions, chopping the parsley and cutting up the veggies and fruit ahead of time.
Makes 4 servings
2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in large pieces
1 cup white jasmine or basmati rice
4 green onions, sliced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
14.5-ounce can chicken broth
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 medium lime (2 teaspoons grated lime zest, plus 2 tablespoons lime juice)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and cook, turning, until browned all over, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Add rice, green onions and garlic to skillet and cook, stirring, until rice looks milky, about one minute.
- Add broth, coconut milk, lime zest, lime juice and salt, and bring to simmer. Return chicken to skillet and cover tightly with lid or foil.
- Cook until rice has absorbed all the liquid, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro or parsley and serve.